[pct-l] PCTA Membership

Amanda L Silvestri aslive at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 9 10:28:30 CST 2008

It is true that we are in a recession and not everyone has money to spend.  In one of those funny twists of fate that sometimes happen, one of the reasions that I got into hiking was because it was an inexpensive way to keep myself entertained.  For far less than a dinner out or even a movie, I could just go for a day hike in the local mountains.  Who knew that I would end up spending hundreds of dollars on ultra-light weight equipment, buying a food dehydrator, traveling further and further away from home just to get to a trail head, etc.

With all the cutbacks in government spending and corporate donations, our trails need our support.  Although there are a lot of worthy causes to choose from.  I try to think about how many people are likely to be giving to which ones.  I don't have any numbers and am not doing this with any science, but I sort of figure that more people give to say the United Way than to the PCTA.  Therefore my dollar to the PCTA means more to them than does my dollar to United Way.  So that's where I give, to them and the SCA who I have actually seen out on the trail.

Just my two cents.

Amanda (Shepherd)