[pct-l] PCTA Membership

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Tue Dec 9 10:54:23 CST 2008

Meadow Ed said:
> What with the present econony looking so bleak, good luck...
> For years when folks had much more money to spend and they still did not support the PCTA how
> can you think they would do so now.

With continued HOPE that they will see the 'light' during their treks...  The bleak economic outlook makes it more important to support what will soon be considered as nonessential or a luxury that the government will cut funding for even further...  The continued support of the PCTA to help "preserve, protect, and promote the Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail as an internationally significant resource for the enjoyment of hikers and equestrians, and for the value that wild and scenic lands provide to all people" is critical in these tougher economic times...

> ...it could be a question asked our members here (pct-l) why they don't join.

Many of us 'here' ARE also members of the PCTA...  But, perhaps, many more of us 'here' SHOULD be members of the PCTA, too...

One can become a first time member of the PCTA for $25 ("Trail Explorer") for one year, then continue, if you 'desire', at $35 per year ("Trail Guide")...  $25 - a large pizza and a three beers in most trail towns...  If you are a member, you won't have to pay $5 for your permit, either - so your first year membership really is only $20 out of your pocket if you are thru-hiking the PCT (or 500+ miles of it)...
See <http://www.pcta.org/help/join/benefits.asp> for more of the 'benefits' of membership...

Happy trails!!!
Jim / PITA