[pct-l] sleeping bag question

Tamsin McMahon tamsinrm at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 11 00:13:16 CST 2008

--0-285686537-1228975996=:29568

Hi folks, =0A=0APlanning my PCT 09 thru-hike. =0A=0AI'm springing for some =
new gear to lighten my weight a bit since I haven't previously been much of=
 an ultralight hiker. I was looking at the Nunatak quilts, but now that the=
 Canadian dollar has taken a nosedive, I'm revising those plans. =0A=0AI am=
 thinking of getting an ultralight 20 degree sleeping bag, however, I alrea=
dy have two sleeping bags: =0A=0A20F /=A0-7C =A0bag that weighs 1.5 kilos (=
3 pounds)=0A40F/ +5=A0bag that weighs...I don't know what it weighs, but it=
's very tiny and not very warm. =0A=0AI'm wondering whether there are secti=
ons, such as in the beginning, where it will be warm enough at night that I=
 should pack the 40F bag and then swap it out later for a warmer one (proba=
bly a new, lighter bag, not the current 3lb one I have)?=0A=0AAny thoughts =
on whether I should be packing the 40F bag at all on the hike?=0A=0AI'm try=
ing to stick with as much of my existing gear as possible, but will probabl=
y spring for a ULA pack, a new sleeping bag and some crampons.=0A=0AThanks!=
=0ATamsin=0A=0A=0A
--0-285686537-1228975996=:29568

<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Planning my PCT 09 thru-hike. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I'm springing for some new gear to lighten my weight a bit since I haven't previously been much of an ultralight hiker. I was looking at the Nunatak quilts, but now that the Canadian dollar has taken a nosedive, I'm revising those plans. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I am thinking of getting an ultralight 20 degree sleeping bag, however, I already have two sleeping bags: </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>20F /&nbsp;-7C &nbsp;bag that weighs 1.5 kilos (3 pounds)</DIV>
<DIV>40F/ +5&nbsp;bag that weighs...I don't know what it weighs, but it's very tiny and not very warm. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I'm wondering whether there are sections, such as in the beginning, where it will be warm enough at night that I should pack the 40F bag and then swap it out later for a warmer one (probably a new, lighter bag, not the current 3lb one I have)?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Any thoughts on whether I should be packing the 40F bag at all on the hike?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I'm trying to stick with as much of my existing gear as possible, but will probably spring for a ULA pack, a new sleeping bag and some crampons.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Thanks!</DIV>
<DIV>Tamsin</DIV></div><br>

--0-285686537-1228975996=:29568--