[pct-l] Granite Gear Vapor Trail

hayden wilson hydnwilson at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 17 11:59:08 CST 2008

I have carried a Vapor Trail on the PCT in 04, the AT SOBO in 06 and on about two thirds of the CDT that I have section hiked.  The pack shows wear but has no rips or pulled seams.  In my opinion,it is durable, comfortable, and spacious enough to handle PCT water needs and my BearVault 500.  To their credit, Granite Gear has had a service team at Trail Days in Damascus every year that I have been there, repairing anyone's gear, regardless of brand.  The only complaint that I know of is having the shoulder straps and lifters slip, requiring adjustments all day long.  Cliff at Stehekin told me to roughen the straps where they go thru the buckles by sewing there with cotton thread.  I did this when I got home; helped some, but finally just held the straps in place with diaper pins.  I usually keep everything in the same place anyway.  I don't know if this is a problem with other packs or is just a function of the webbing used on GG.  The newer
 packs now have wider straps than my earlier model. My pack weighs in at 2 lbs 5 or 6 oz, not the 2 lbs that was the listed weight in the past.
Hayden Wilson
Birdnut