[pct-l] Base layers

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Fri Dec 19 22:09:49 CST 2008

Good afternoon, Shepherd,

My base layer is...well, really basic.  I wear a poly tee shirt and a pair
of nylon athletic shorts as seen at:
http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=229100

In the morning when I pack up I wear a 200-weight fleece pullover, which
usually is removed after 10-20 minutes on the trail.  Sometimes I put it
back on in the evening when I lay out my camp, but not always.  This photo:
http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=288743 was taken early when I was
still wearing the sweater.  Fleece sweaters and jackets are kind of a
commodity and I don't see much difference in the fleece between the $100+
models and the cheap-o's.  The one I'm wearing in the photo was purchased
new off a sporting goods store sale rack for $5.  It doesn't have lots of
pockets or even a zipper, which is what I wanted to save weight.  It weighs
10 ounces. Most of all it doesn't have an expensive name brand.  A good
place to find great deals on fleece jackets is at the local thrift store.

If it is also windy in the morning I put a 3-5 ounce windshirt over the
sweater.  It comes off first on the trail, but I sometimes put it on alone
if I stop for a while in the wind as can be seen on Mather Pass at:
http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=281727  Also in that photo is a
stocking hat which I sleep in, but sometimes put back on during the day if
it is windy.  The same can be said of a pair of fleece gloves.

I rarely carry any leg covering, except I do use a pair of 2-ounce SilNylon
chaps if more than occasional rain is expected.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye