[pct-l] Unprepared hikers

Robert W. Freed robert at engravingpros.com
Sat Dec 20 11:52:56 CST 2008

In 2007 I ran into a Japanese gentleman who was hiking the JMT southbound
with a monster convertible suitcase/back pack with roller wheels. He must
of weighed all of 100 lbs and the pack looked like it weighed about the same as
he did. We stopped for lunch and he proceeded to take several large Tupperware
containers out of his pack. His cereal container was the same size as a box of
cereal. He spoke no English so I had a hard time explaining my ultra-lite
philosophy. We had a good time trying to communicate though. He could not of
gotten to where he was without climbing over at least one major pass. So his
system must have worked for him.
Robert