[pct-l] French tips

Georgi Heitman bobbnweav at gmail.com
Sun Dec 28 11:49:53 CST 2008

Sweet Goat Mama said it pretty well...when we get repaid (in cash) for what
we do, which at the Hideaway at Old Station, includes dinner and breakfast,
we can do it longer and serve more hikers.  Last season, I won't say summer,
because a few of our hikers began showing up Memorial Day weekend and last
of the SOBOs were arriving in late October, we served 306 and a few support
people.  As retirees with a limited (and currently shrinking) income, hiker
donations are what keeps us going.  There's never a profit...last summer our
electric bill was well over $300.00 two months running...and our irrigation
pump was down, so it wasn't spent keeping our lawn green, it was showers,
laundry, dish washing, etc.  Non-hiker months it runs well under $200.00.
This is not a complaint...we love what we do, what I'm saying is that even
if donations came close to covering food costs, there are the hidden
expenses that hikers aren't really aware of, but must be paid.  Part of the
cost may be our fault...the Hat Creek Rim is what NOBOs face after leaving
here.  There['s a sign in my kitchen that reads, 'If it isn't fatal, it's no
big deal'.  We've made it a rule, because the Rim in the summer is a 'big
deal', if a hiker has a physical problem of any kind, they stay til we think
they can go.  Our decision was made in 2005, when a few hikers who were
having problems when they left here, showed up at Burney Falls more dead
than alive.  Several of them spent days there trying to get better before
heading on.  It made better sense to keep them here instead, where they
didn't have to cook for themselves, someone was checking on them, there were
more med. supplies for blisters, etc.  It adds to our expenses, but we feel
it's worth it to be able to send our hikers on their way in good health.  In
some cases, it may mean the difference between finishing their trek or
bailing.  Well, that's a bit off the subject, but Jean-Michel, you are
welcome here at the Hideaway at Old Station with or without being willing to
leave a donation, but with help from you, our level of hospitality will be
able to continue as it is now.
We hope we'll have an opportunity to get to know you ....
Happy Trails,
FireFly (and FireWalker) at The Hideaway at Old Station