[pct-l] Don't plan, just do

jordan2ynp at aol.com jordan2ynp at aol.com
Mon Dec 29 20:31:57 CST 2008

Hello Roger,

You are correct about the added weight one needs to carry. At all times I had more bug spray, and supplies than I might need. Yes, while others could just go to the post office and pick up food, I would jitch an extra ten miles to the next town. I did this because one of my favorite parts of the trail was town. I love towns. I go to the stores and meet as many locals as I can, and talk to whoever is around. I enjoy going to bars and getting into random conversations about the local economy. Because I HAD to go into towns and get supplies I got to meet more people than I normally would. On the other hand, I did spent more money on my trip than people who just did or sometimes did mail drops.

My style of hiking works for me because I love towns and civilization. If ones priority is to stay close to the trail and save some money then mail drops might be best. The key is to find what is right for you.

As for gear mooching, I would tell any free and easy hiker to know how far they have to go to the next town and buy accordingly. A person can still go without a plan and have the appropriate supplies. The only draw back like I said earlier is that it might require more hitching. Luck for me I love to hitch :)

Good Times

Long live the Anti-Purest Brigade