[pct-l] Trekking pole snow baskets for Sierra?

jeff.singewald at comcast.net jeff.singewald at comcast.net
Tue Feb 5 10:26:26 CST 2008

I found that some form of snow basket was essential to have with hiking poles during the 2006 season when snow covered much of the trail.  I used the 4" baskets for the Sierra and found these to work well, while others found the 2" baskets to work well also.  Given that the snow softened up by noon, I could not imagine not having some form of basket to restrict the pole from sinking into the snow that was frequently deep.

Another thought if you are still debating the use of poles.  During 2006 when snow covered much of the trail, sun-cupping was very common.  In fact, there were sections where we encountered sun-cups that were 2 feet deep.  I found these to be much easier to traverse in the early morning with poles as the poles gave much more balance when steppping on the ridges of the sun-cups.

But as always, each person needs to identify what works best for them.