[pct-l] Pole tips

Rick Ostheimer rick.ostheimer at sbcglobal.net
Sun Feb 10 14:10:29 CST 2008

On my AT thru, my poles had worn down way past the tips by the time I
got to Delaware Water Gap (mile 1280).  Fortunately, I got a new pair
from the outfitter there.  Easy to do with just a slip joint pliers to
grip and pull off the old ends.  I needed another new pair by the time I
finished the ensuing 1000 miles.

I took my 10-year old Leki Super Makulu's in to the Leki refurb guys at
Trail Days in Damascus last year.  They put on new tips and new expander
gizmo's that keep the pole sections in place.  They also cleaned inside
the pole sections with a wire brush and advised me to take them apart
periodically to let the insides dry out ---- they gave me a D- in pole
maintenance based on the condition of my poles.  I don't remember the
literature that came with them indicating to do the take-apart drill.

The Leki guys recommended I stop in at their booth at the Kickoff and
ask for a set of tips to put in my bounce box.

Great company: Leki!

Handlebar