[pct-l] Footwear.

Greg Kesselring gkesselr at whidbey.com
Sun Feb 17 20:07:43 CST 2008

3 1/2 pounds is fairly light for boots, but of course not as light as
trail runners which run about 1 1/2 pounds.  However, if you're
comfortable in boots and they've worked well for you in the past, then
maybe don't mess with success?  If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

But, have you hiked 20 miles days, several in a row in those boots.  If
they've passed that test, then they might be the ticket for the PCT.

One more point:  For me, fit is more important than type of shoe (trail
runner, lightweight hiker, or heavier boot).  Unfortunately, it's
usually not apparent when I'm walking around the store with them on.  It
may take a mile or three on the trail before I realize that these shoes
are not going to work (causing pain in my toe joint).   The straightness
or curvature of the last seems to be the key for me.   (After much
experimentation I've found that I need a straight last, the New Balance
SL-1 or SL-2 work best for me.) And getting a shoe that has LOTS of room
in the toe box.  I buy a size bigger and wider than my street shoe size.
  So it may not be the trail runners that are the problem.  It may be
the FIT of the trail runners.  That is, another brand, another size,
another last, may solve the problem.

Greg