[pct-l] Route Finding

Phil Baily pbaily at webuniverse.net
Thu Jan 3 21:34:52 CST 2008

I use Topo and print maps for my hikes. You are right about the
states, but I have only needed Ca and Or to date. The postings are
indeed by users and I have found a few (not large) errors so beware.
It is best to compare them with guidebook or other maps before
leaving, and then be careful when going thru those areas. In one case
(Section L) there were two traces in different colors in the
downloaded product over a short distance. I don't know why they were
there, but one was correct and one incorrect. Nevertheless, I find
the posting and software very useful. I am not a GPS user (behind the
times, I guess) and this eliminates the need for finding and
purchasing lots of Forest Service, etc. maps.You can also use the
different map levels to have a "close-up" of the trail as in the
guidebook, and also have a view that shows what the surrounding
terrain looks like and names the mountains that you see. HYOH.

Pieces