[pct-l] resupply distances - First Day

Postholer public at postholer.com
Sun Jan 13 19:51:44 CST 2008

Hiking 20 miles on your first day is not foolish, whether it's your first
day on the PCT or your first day of a week long hike.

Being unprepared to hike 20 miles and expecting you will IS foolish. (ie,
having the incorrect footwear which I can painfully testify too) Everyone is
doing their training, right? Now is the time!

MANY folks make it to Lake Morena their first day and are no worse for it.
Twice I've started my hikes doing the Campo to Lake Morena in a day, with a
~9:30am start and made it before 6pm. It's not difficult. Both times others
were also at the packbackers site and were in very good spirits!

Further, the thought of having a whole day and only hiking 15 miles, would
be an annoyingly *painful* manner for me to hike. It just ain't my style...

This is definitely a HYOH topic. Folks will definitely vary. It's not a
defacto this way or that.