[pct-l] camera

Piroska Balogh piros4 at comcast.net
Mon Jan 21 12:20:06 CST 2008

I bought a Canon PowerShot SX100 IS in December from Amazon and took
it to Paris for two weeks but haven't tried it out on the trail. What
I can tell you is that the IS (internal stabilizer) really works. I
took lots of pictures inside buildings without the flash (even inside
cathedrals) in Night snapshot mode and the photos really turned out
well. It has a 10X zoom that I love. I got some great close up shots
and they turned out nice and sharp. Using the camera is really
intuitive and I never had to look at the manual.

I like that you have to lift the flash manually so it doesn't
automatically go off. The flash isn't great but I found that if I
stand a bit back and zoom in on the subject, it gives acceptable
photos though I rarely used it. It runs on AA batteries. The factory
batteries lasted about a week and a half of very heavy use. It doesn't
have a viewfinder but I haven't missed having one though I didn't have
any really bright, sunny days. Its got most of the Canon SLR control
features and the set up is very similar to the Rebel that I also own.
I used to be a die-hard SLR user but now find that the ease of use,
light weight, compact size, and quality photos are a great package,
and I won't ever carry my SLR on long hiking trips again or travelling
for that matter.

If anyone wants some sample photos, I'd be happy to send some off-list.

Last Cookie