[pct-l] PCT-L: WInd and Tents

Hiker97 at aol.com Hiker97 at aol.com
Fri Jan 25 09:59:27 CST 2008

Kris wrote: First off, I love my tarptent.  I have been through 7+  inch
storms in it.  BUT I have next to no faith in it as far as snow  loading, side
gusts or very high winds are concerned.  What are people's  opinions as far as
ultralite tents (ie bug-proof shelters) that offer maximum  wind protection?
Switchback replies: I love my Hubba netting tent.  In the wind it is
wonderful.  I can lay in my tent and the wind can be going like a freight  train
outside and inside my tent it is calm.  Too neat.  Now if you  add rain and wind
with the rainfly on, then the tent is only rated to 40  MPH.  So, if I expected
that, then I would simple pitch near a tree or big  rock.  No problem.  Snow
would only accumulate on a small area on top  of the tent rainfly.  I do not
think that would be a problem.

With my carbon fiber poles, the Hubba weighs in under 3 pounds.  Not  bad for
a freestanding tent with 360 degree views.  With my shelter  set up I know
not matter what the weather, bugs, privacy, etc., etc., I will  have a neat
campsite at the end of the day of banging along the trail.  A  shelter with a full
foam insulated floor and lots of attic space for gear items  -- all
modifications by yours truly.

48)