[pct-l] tarptents and wind

RJ Lewis karmagurl at rainierconnect.com
Fri Jan 25 20:26:30 CST 2008

Before I bought my Double Rainbow Tarptent last year, I actually called
Henry Shires and asked him a few questions about storm handling, wind
handling and snow load on his tarptents, and most pointedly, which of
them would handle it the best? I also related to him that I planned a
PCT hike, and perhaps others, using the tent I would be purchasing from
him. After some conversation, he told me that the 2 Rainbow tents would
be the best bet, and discussed with me just how to pitch the tent in a
storm- ie wind, rain, etc....to maximize its benefits. The Rainbow and
Double Rainbow also have grommets located in the top vents that one can
use a hiking pole to stabilize the tent in higher wind conditions. This
grommet is easily accessible sitting inside one's tent, just by
unzipping either side door zipper. Couldn't get much easier than that.
The Double Rainbow also offers as an option an interior liner, to help
with condensation problems, with a weight that registers just under 4
oz. A nice addition for the damper climes of Washington state and the like.

If you have any concerns, give Henry Shires a call- he will happily
answer any of your questions about your Tarptent. He makes them after
all and would, in my opinion, be the expert on this matter.

Peace and have a great weekend all!
HYOH