[pct-l] A backpack conundrum

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Tue Jan 29 13:23:17 CST 2008

Good afternoon, Joel,

To understand my weight perspective you might try this:

Since your pack weighs about 7 lbs., put in it 3 lbs. of something.  That would give you a "base weight" of 10 lbs, which is about where mine is, including the bear 'can.

Next add 10 lbs. for a food load, i.e. 2.5 lb./day for an average of 4 days.  Leaving resupply the food may be closer to 18-20 lbs. but as you approach another resupply the food will be near-zero, so use an average..

Finally, add 2 lbs. for a liter of water.  I usually didn't carry that much in the Sierras but I carried more than that in the desert.

The sum of the above is 22 lbs. so put on the pack with the hip belt unfastened, walk around for a while, and see how it feels.  It's interesting to note that the Gregory site shows the "comfort range" of the Whitney to be between 25 and 65 lbs.

I used two different packs: The one I preferred was a 13 oz. GoLite Breeze.  I also used a 15 oz. GVP-4 only because the 'can was a better fit in the bottom.

Steel-Eye

^^^^^^^^^^  Serious hikers gather at:  http://www.aldhawest.org/  ^^^^^^^^^^