[pct-l] Medical Help For Your Gear

G. Lowe aka Wheeew gailpl2003 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 29 19:05:48 CST 2008

I covered my Senz umbrella with Mylar last night.   (See my Trail Journal site for many pics of same) and used some stuff I thought might be helpful to the hiking community.

-Medipore tape is a lightweight, fabric-like tape that sticks very well.  It has perforations every couple inches, so it goes around curves (ankles, toes, etc) very well, and can be easily ripped apart at these perforations....no need for scissors.  It also has pores which allow air in, therefore wounds heal much better than with, for instance, duct tape.  This tape comes in several different sizes.

-Tinc-o-ben-  Also known as "Tincture of Benzoin".  We use this in medicine when we need a surgical dressing to stick REALLY well!  It is a brownish liquid, that is VERY sticky.  When applied to the skin, and allowed to air-dry for a few minutes until it feels "tacky" to the touch, and then tape is applied, it is practically BOMB PROOF!  This is something you'd apply around the EDGES of a wound/ blister before applying the tape over the wound.  (Tape should NEVER be applied directly to a wound, as more damage is done to the wound when pulling the tape off.  Instead, coat the wound with a small amt of antibiotic ointment, etc, cover with guaze, and THEN tape).  This should greatly extend the wear time of the dressing.  Might do well to carry a tiny bottle of it in the pack, at least until the feet are broken in.

I believe both can be purchased at any drug store, medical supply store or even WalMart, etc.

-One other thing.  For any hiker than wants a definitive "Bible" on the nutritional value of practically ANY food known to man, a copy of Corinne T. Netzer's, "Encyclopedia of Food Values" is a must for your library.  It is an "easy to read" (large) book that describes calorie count, vitamins, minerals, fat, protein and carbohydrate value of practically any food, including frozen dinners, fast food, fresh foods, meat, dairy,  etc., and even names many brand names.  I have had mine for years and swear by it.  It would be an excellent reference for planning what foods to take on your hike to meet calorie count/ nutritional needs.  This would give you one less excuse to get off the trail!  ;-)

Hope this helps!

-Wheeew-
www.trailjournals.com/wheeew/
---->MexiCan----> 2008