[pct-l] PCT hike window

Sarah Faulkner sarah.faulkner at yale.edu
Thu Jan 31 10:25:29 CST 2008

Hey there,

My name is Sarah and I am a hopeful 2008 northbound thru hiker.   I
will be hiking with my friend, Laura.  We are both pretty fit and
active.   This is to give some background for my question.  We have
been planning to thruhike since last summer, but with the snow
conditions tallied up to now, I am starting to wonder if it will be
possible.

I start a new job September 1, 2008.  My impression for now is that
the start date is not flexible.  However, our departure date is very
flexible.

All of my questions relate to my (our) ability to get to the Canada
border by september 1.  I realize that ideally there would be no time
pressure, and we would take days off when we reached a great stopping
point, and we wouldn't be hurried, but the situation is really that
if I cannot reach the border by September 1 -- then I will not be
able to hike.

I would be extremely grateful for you experienced folks' expertise on
the following questions:

1.  For the postholer site that gives you an approximate sierra entry
window, where exactly does this assume the sierra entry is?  I would
assume KM, but looking at the TOPO map, it looks like there are
reasonably elevated portions before there.  (I am trying to work
backwards from that date/location to decide the earliest feasible
date we can leave, and thus the earliest we could potentially finish).

2.  What would happen if we entered the Sierra before that date?
Would it be possible/safe to get through with the right gear?  We are
planning on taking an orienteering course in snow conditions in
Vermont sometime soon.  ( I realize that the answer to this question
depends to some degree on the amount of snow.)

Has anyone left "early" and could they give us advice?  Is it
realistic at all to try?

I may just suck it up and hike until I have to be back, but it sure
would be disappointing to get within a week or two of the border and
then have to leave.  I could also just wait until April to decide,
but I hate to put off buying all my gear until the last second.

Thanks so much!

Sarah