[pct-l] Bear Canister Controversy....''THE SOLUTION''

Nathan Miller erccmacfitheal at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 1 13:49:47 CDT 2008

>JMT - I know you may be trying to inject a little humor to the list, again, but...

>> Since the  ''Beer  Keg'' is bear proof,  our liquid calories would be
>> safe and we would be in full compliance.

>I don't see any beer kegs on the 'approved container' list...
(The "Bear Keg" does NOT come with a tap/pump, either!)
<http://www.sierrawildbear.gov/foodstorage/approvedcontainers.htm>...
You would NOT be in full compliance!

>> We would not need water...

>Sorry, it sounds good, but alcohol (yes, even beer) is a diuretic - NOT good for you while 'exercising'...
<http://www.webmd.com/content/Article/17/1676_51853.htm>...
IMHO and experience, dehydrated hikers have not been "jovial" whatsoever...
Save the beer drinking for town stops or maybe a can from trail 'magic' locations...   ;-)

Why must one put beer into such a keg?  Why not simply replace the beer with a nourishing trail drink?  Such a drink could have the necessary ratio of carbs and protein.  Just put the keg on top of your pack, attach a Platypus hose and you're good to go!  You can sip while you hike and get your hydration and your calories and your protein and your other nutrition all at the same time!  At the end of the day, remove the hose and insert a locking, bear-proof cap into the hole and be anti-bear-compliant, too!

-Nathan Miller
Newberg, OR