[pct-l] Etna Summit Roadwalk details --- please?

jeff.singewald at comcast.net jeff.singewald at comcast.net
Mon Jul 14 22:05:18 CDT 2008

It is about 8 miles down the Etna Summit road to the town of Etna.  It is all downhill on a steep winding paved road.  This is typically the road that people hitch to go into Etna for re-supply, however, if you are walking around the fire, I suppose you are planning to walk down this road.  Not much of a shoulder to speak of, but fortunately there is not that much traffic on this road.  Therer are several creek crossings along this road, however, it would be difficult for me to estimate mileage.

>From Etna you can walk along Highway 3 to Ft. Jones to catch the road down to the Indian Scotty turnoff.  This is a mostly flat road walk and follows the river much of the way.  The turnoff at the Kelsy Creek bridge towards Indian Scotty and the Lovers Camp trailhead must be a good 10-12 miles.

The road walk up to Lovers Camp is all up-hill paved road but it will be a tough pull.  You won't find much more than a few roadside run-offs to speak of here.  The road up must be about 5-6 miles.

Staying along the PCT it is approximately 28 miles from Etna Summit to the trail that comes up to Marble Station.  Your road walk will be about the same.  The scenery will not even be close to the same though.  I would suggest giving this another week and see if the trail opens.

In 2006 the trail was closed in this area due to nearby fires and was opened within a week or so of the closure.  You may have similar luck.

From: "Brian Lewis" <brianle8 at gmail.com>