[pct-l] Etna Summit Roadwalk details --- please?

Deems losthiker at sisqtel.net
Mon Jul 14 22:20:24 CDT 2008

All paved roads. Any locals along the road walk can point you straight.
The walk from Etna Summit to Etna is about 12 miles. Then
nobo on Hwy 3 for about 6 miles to Greenview road. Turn left and hike along
it about 3 miles, then left onto Quartz Valley road for 2 miles to
Mugginsville. Continue on pavement
for about 6-7 miles to the Scott River Road. Turn left and go about 9 miles
Indian Scotty CG. Cross the Scott River on bridge, and follow paved road
sobo uphill about 6 miles to Lovers Camp TH
Hike the trail 6 miles into the Marbles to Marble Valley and the PCT. Total
miles for paved road walk are around 45. Camping is opportunistic, stealth,
and the land in Scott Valley is all private. Water is faucets enroute or
filtered/treated side creeks. Cows and alfalfa fields are the main
attractions along the way. The bus from Etna looks to be daily to Yreka, but
only goes to SV on Mon and Friday. The fire isn't up to the PCT yet, but is
to the west near the Right Hand Fork of the Salmon River in Bear Wallow
creek. HYOH.
http://www.co.siskiyou.ca.us/dpw/transportation.htm

"So possible reroute road walks are NOBO walk to Etna, then about 12
miles north to Scott river Rd via Mugginsville,   then west via rd to
Indian Scotty Campground and to Lovers camp FS 44N45 and FS43N45 to
the Canyon Creek trail."

Very much appreciated.  I and some other thru's are in Castella, about
100 miles or just a few days south of the fire closure.  We assume it
will still be closed when we get there, but would really appreciate
any more details on road walk alternatives to allow us to decide (when
I check via internet on my cellphone) at the Etna turn off whether we
should walk to Etna as part of a roadwalk, or just hitch in and take
the bus to Seiad Valley as is suggested in text posted here.

In particular, it would be great to get details on the types of roads
involved --- how much is forest service road, how much secondary road,
i.e. how much the road walk will suck (they all suck to some degree
...).  And the total mileage of the road walk.   And either informed
speculation or specific knowledge of where we might find water along
the way on such a road walk, and where a person might camp along the
way.

Thanks in advance if anyone can add to our knowledge here over the
next 4 days or so.  FWIW, I'm sure that more details on a roadwalk
alternative would help more than just the few that I've been hiking
with.