[pct-l] Trainman, Snow Levels

kmurray at pol.net kmurray at pol.net
Tue Jun 3 13:12:50 CDT 2008

"I'm planning a hike from Barker Pass to Donner Pass (hwy 80) in mid June.
This is approximately 34 miles. After reading some of the recent mail here I
see snow depths at Dicks Pass (only 20 miles south of my start point) are
still quite high. Also I see reports of 3' snow depths on the Tahoe Rim
Trail which intersects with the PCT at mile 1131.8. So my question to those
familiar with this area is will I (we) need crampons and ice ax? The two of
us have no experience hiking in snow so we want to be as best prepared as we
can. Any info will help. Thanks.
Trainman"

Axe and Crampons:  Exceedingly unlikely.  Not really the kind of terrain
that this would be useful anyway, and the snow is melting rapidly. Donner
is melted out already, although you will encounter drifts.

In the next two weeks, likely >20 inches of snow will melt.

Hiking poles are really useful, though.  Best to start hiking early in the
day, before the snow turns to mush, where you do need to cross it.

Ken