[pct-l] Yosemite Section in September!

Bruce Harvey bharve at dslextreme.com
Thu Jun 19 23:40:02 CDT 2008

Jesica,

You and friends have done "lots of hiking and camping, but only some
backpacking"?  Want to pick someone's brain?   Probably haven't read
posts to this list for months or years, since that enables picking
lots of brains.  I've picked a bunch, and have twice hiked the two
sections ('portions') you ask about, so I'm good for a memory dump.
[Dating myself!  That phrase harks back to magnetic core computer
memories.]

Advice:

1.  Get in shape. and lighten pack weight as much as possible.  The
necessities are knowledge, food, safe water, shelter, sleeping gear/
clothes for the temps, clothing for the range of conditions, foot
care knowledge and footgear that enable continued hiking multiple
days.  Those last two are very particular each individual!
Absolutely the ONLY luxury needed when hiking day after day is a
light pack.  Take training hikes with all pack weight that will be
used on either of the two PCT sections.  Lots of training hikes.  Two
to three days at a time if possible.  With ascents and descents.
With the shoes (or sandals) and socks that you'll hike in and the
foot care material you plan to use or need.  Hike up and down
building stairwells with pack on during lunch breaks on workdays.  It
all will cause you to jettison stuff (weight) you don't need, and
possibly refine things related to your feet.  Note your water
consumption rates (expressed as miles per liter is a good choice),
temps, & elevation gains during training.

2. If your books include the Northern California PCT Guidebook by
Wilderness Press, fine.  If not, get a copy.  May as well have it if
you intend hiking sections of the PCT.  Cut it apart and take only
the dozen or so sheets applicable to a section while hiking that
section (reduce weight).  Navigation (avoiding wrong trail at trail
junctions, or taking a dogleg on a road to resumption of trail) is an
issue in only a few spots in each of the two sections  you've asked
about.  By September the PCT will be mostly, but not totally, a
beaten path.   In any case, bring maps (the Guidebook includes maps)-
you'll need to know distances & elevations gains to next certain
water sources.

3.   If you intend to hike both sections successively and if
transportation affords, hike Sonora Pass to Echo Lake  first.  If up
for more, hike Tuolumne to Sonora Pass second.  Sonora Pass to Echo
Lake is 76.2 miles with 6940 ft. gross elevation gain and three
highway crossings for bailing out.  Tuolumne to Sonora Pass is 76.4
miles with 11,790 ft. gross elevation gain and no bailout options.
Sonora Pass to Echo Lake is at lower elevations overall than
Tuolumne to Sonora Pass.  Bear canisters are required throughout
Yosemite N.P., so you'll have to carry canisters (more weight!)
Tuolumne to Sonora Pass.  Canisters aren't required for Sonora To
Echo Lake, although carrying them could be conservative (of your
food).  All reasons to attack Sonora Pass to Echo Lake first.

4.    If you intend to hike both sections successively, decide on
your transportation and resupply.  Trailhead parking at Tuolumne and
Echo Lake fairly secure due to their setting and nature of  users,
Trailhead parking at Sonora Pass is excellent due to remoteness, lack
of casual traffic, and setting well off the highway.  Cars parked at
any of the three should be scent free (absolutely so at Tuolumne!).
with no loose items visible inside.  Food and any scented stuff
cached at Sonora pass or Echo Lake will need to be in bear canisters
back in the woods.  At Tuolumne trailhead there are bear lockers
(which get full sun most of the day- not good for any perishables).
Quite good lake resort store at Echo Lake and good camping/hiking
store at Tuolumne, no store at Sonora Pass.  The town of Bridgeport
is a dozen miles or so down the mountain from Sonora Pass.

5. Keep reading posts on this list.  As you mull over plans, post
specific questions; there are lot of helpful hikers who frequent this
listserv (though many are out hiking during the summer).

My Experience on the two sections:

Hiked both, twice.

Hiked Sonora Pass to Echo Lake with two other hikers September 2-5,
2005,   Parked at Echo Lake upper parking lot and slept overnight in
cars.  Cached food in bear canister in woods above the lot, for a
follow-on solo hike Tuolumne to Sonora.  Next morning hikers rode in
my car to Sonora Pass and parked it there.  Although parking is
excellent at Sonora Pass, I disabled my car under the hood because of
the remote location and because I would be returning there alone
after solo hike from Tuolumne.  Hike from Sonora Pass to Echo Lake
was a bit more than a half day the first day, then two high mileage
(for us older guys) loong days, and a bit less than a half day to
finish, so roughly three days hiking.

Hiked solo Tuolumne to Sonora Pass september 5-9, 2005.   After
finishing with the other two hikers at Echo Lake, retrieved my food
cache, and rode to Tuolumne where I was dropped off.  After a bit of
cleanup of self and clothes and reorganizing pack, had a short 6 mile
day to Glen Aulin.  Succeeding days' mileages were 20.4, 19.3, 19.2,
and 11.5 on the finishing day to Sonora Pass.  Re-enabled my car, and
began drive for home.

Did a PCT 'thru' hike in 2007.  Hiked from Tuolumne to Echo Lake
without resupply.   Days' mileages were 16.6, 19.1, 20.3, 20.4
(camped at Sonora Pass), 23.4, 23.4, 21.5, and 7.9 into
Echo Lake.  (Hiked further later, after picking up mailed resupply,
reorganizing pack and visiting with other hikers while eating a LOT
from the store.)  The difference between the sections' mileages by
day is indicative of the difference in gross elevation gain.

Have Fun !