[pct-l] Clover Fire Detour

Travis Beals trbeals at berkeley.edu
Sun Jun 22 15:13:17 CDT 2008

I'm planning to start a 500 mile section hike of the PCT northbound
from Walker Pass around the beginning of July. That would put me at
Kennedy Meadows around July 5. Having never hiked the PCT before, I
have a number of questions as to how to prepare for the Clover Fire
(thanks to L-Rod and Halfmile and others who have already posted info).

1) How many miles are added by the detour routes (Jackass Trail and/or
Monache Jeep Trail)? Are they significantly more challenging than the
PCT in terrain, quality of trail, or availability of water?

2) Is the fire likely to prevent me from camping or re-supplying at
Kennedy Meadows?

3) Given weather, fire conditions, etc, is it likely the fire would
either be controlled & the trail re-opened by July 5? Alternatively,
is it likely the fire would spread and cause more extensive closures/
disruptions?

4) Is the situation bad enough that I should try to change my plans to
avoid the Kennedy Meadows area altogether? I'm section-hiking, so I'm
not as concerned about continuity, but I do care about the logistics
of getting to and from the trail; I picked Walker Pass as a starting
point because it's relatively easy to get to.

I'm trying to get information now so that I can be prepared for any
detours (e.g., maps and sufficient supplies), and so that I can notify
some friends who were planning to meet me in Lone Pine when they might
expect me to be there (i.e., are delays likely).

-Travis