[pct-l] water

Amanda L Silvestri aslive at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 25 10:22:25 CDT 2008

Okay, help me out here.  I have heard two opposite things about retrieving water while in the field.

   One school of thought says that fast running water is best, because still water tends to contain moss, algae and other microbes.

  The other school of thought says that fast moving water carries particles of dirt, microbes, etc along with it.  Still water, on the other hand allows these particles to settle on the bottom so you should scoop you water from the top of pools.

  Perhaps both are true, depending of the depth of the water.  Shallow pools can't allow for much settling.  Likewise, shallow fast moving streams can stir up sediments from the stream bed.  What do you all think?

  Amanda