[pct-l] Bear Cannisters

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Thu Jun 26 18:17:07 CDT 2008

On Jun 26, 2008, at 7:06 PM, Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes wrote:

> It is not true that 5 days is quite doable, at least not for
> everyone. If I'd continued on the trail and not left at Bishop
> Pass, it would have taken me at least 7 days to reach VVR from my
> last resupply which was at Lone Pine. I needed to do Lone Pine for
> various reasons. I needed to leave at Bishop Pass because I was
> running out of food and my shoes fell apart before I could get my
> replacements in VVR, among other reasons. The stop was not planned.

You don't need to use a canister all the way from Lone Pine.  There
are plenty of bear boxes between there and the point where you must
have a canister.  Extra food goes in the bear box.

It might be fun to have a bear canister packing contest at the
kickoff party.  How many calories/pounds of food can fit?

Radar