[pct-l] Bear Cannisters

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.com
Thu Jun 26 22:55:53 CDT 2008

Hi, Radar!

For us, resupplies cost money, effort, and time. If we can minimize the
number of them and keep them on trail, we have a better time in the
backcountry.
>From KM north, our next resupply point is Onion Valley/Kearsarge Pass where
we receive a driven-in bucket (not too bad of a hike out). The next one is
Red's Meadow/Mammoth followed by a short run to TM/Tioga. Our other longer
leg is from there to Echo/hwy 50. I'll advocate a resupply at KM-north would
be a good addition.

IMHO as long as I'm in bear country, I want a canister--for my own peace of
mind, if nothing else. So, I'll use one wherever Park bears might be
relocated and whenever I'm near mountain resorts/campgrounds. It is our
experience that wild bears stay away from humans; they haven't learned what
the "civilized" bears know! Thus, our Tahoe bears do equate people with
food.

Mtnned

For Information on Programs, previous Trips, and Photo Gallery,

Please visit: www.mountaineducation.com