[pct-l] Bear lockers etc.

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Jun 27 12:47:40 CDT 2008

I only once passed a bear locker at a relatively decent time to make
camp. 3pm was very early to stop and if it wasn't for Forester Pass
being right there, I would have passed that locker up.

The lockers at Rae Lakes were just beyond my ability to get there so
I passed them first thing in the morning. Other lockers were passed
in the middle of the day.

It isn't as easy as it sounds to schedule your hike around bear
lockers. You have to keep going if you want to make the milage and
not carry so much food. The campsites that are popular tend to be
cold, wet and mosquito-infested. Better campsites can be made
stealthily. Why remove lockers but add brand new signs everywhere? It
makes no sense. If you want wilderness, don't let anybody in there.
Anyway, the idea that every bear that eats your food will be shot is
rather alarmist, no?

I only have to deal with the bear can for 6 more days and then I'm
skipping all that nonsense and moving on. I share Billy Goat's
feeling as mentioned in the LA Times article. I'm really more
interested in the walking than the scenery. It's a strange thing to
admit, but true. 6 more days of "sightseeing" and then it's back to
"work". Maybe back on less touristy trail I'll see my friends again.
The Sierras have been overwhelmingly lonely despite the plethora of
people. The community of thrus is truly wonderful and I miss it.