[pct-l] Bear lockers etc.

frank martin sriprank at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 28 08:35:01 CDT 2008

The main problem with the Bear Lockers is that too many people rely on them.  I have done the JMT Section of the Sierra numerous times and avoid them like the plague.  Since most PCT Thru's are passing this area in early season they never get to experience what happens later as the JMT Season gets in full swing and the added impact of those doing the Rae Lakes Loop over Glen Pass.

The bears play the percentages.  They know that there will be a large number of hikers camped near the bear boxes. The majority of these hikers will have food stored properly in either canisters or the bear boxes.  What happens is that one or two people get sloppy and forget something and thus you have a 'bear encounter'.  It really doesn't take much.  The bear is going by scent not volume.  It may be just a few crumbs of trail mix in your pocket of clothing that now is in a stuff sack which you are using as a pillow.  So the problem you have in the areas around these lockers is successive generations of bears who 'hang out' and for whom this is their main source of food.

Even more alarming is the situation coming out of Road's End (the West Side) up the Paradise Valley Trail that joins the JMT/PCT at the suspension bridge.  You are literally followed by bears as you come up the trail.  For many this is their first backpacking trip (and for many their last).

The issues go beyond 'proper food storage'.  Bears are constantly learning new behaviors.  A few years ago there was a bear in Evolution Valley who learned to rip the backpacks off passing hikers.  They had bear canisters but this bear had learned a backpack was a source of food.  Then there was the 'famous bear' who leaned to open the older bearvaults which led to their ban in the Forrester/ Rae Lakes Areas.  I do give credit to BearVault for correcting this situation.

Personally I welcome the removal of the Bear lockers.  It will spread people out and cause less impact on certain areas and hopefully they will make them THINK.

The problem that many people have with the Bear Cannisters is that they never see them until they get to KM.  I am not a big fan of KO for the reasons that have been mentioned by other posters (too much sudden impact) but perhaps a demo of how to pack a bear canister would be a good presentation.   Like any other preparation for a hike it takes work but it is certainly doable to reduce your volume to fit.  I have hiked the entire Sections from Horseshoe to TM w/o resupply on several occasions.

This year the new regulations went into effect to include areas of Yosemite that were previous exempt for canisters.  Next year it will be the same for SEKI.

If you practice 'stealth camping' and stay away from the bear boxes you will likely never see a bear in the Sierra.

alamedafrank