[pct-l] Why remove Bear Lockers

kmurray at pol.net kmurray at pol.net
Fri Jun 27 22:41:03 CDT 2008

Hey, I was asked for the reasoning, I answered.  It is not MY reasoning.

I don't neccessarily disagree with you, and I suppose that it comes down
to a variety of interpretations of the act.

I know, for example, with respect to trails, that one of the reasons to
maintain trails well, is that it has a very significant effect on silt in
streams, which causes stream degradation, and if a trail is not well
maintained, people/stock tend to go off of it, causing massively greater
resource damage, especially in meadows.  So in that case, I guess it is a
decision being made about what impacts the resource LESS, and causes the
impact of humans to be minimized?

This would certainly not be the case with bear lockers, where no resource
damage would likely be caused by their removal and unavailability, that I
can think of.

However, I've no insight or contacts with respect to the actual decision,
so I'm only guessing, based upon my discussions with other land managers,
and how they address such issues.