[pct-l] PCT 1st timers!

Rhee, Rosylyn RRhee at MusicCenter.org
Sat May 10 16:18:45 CDT 2008

Hello,

This forum is a great resource!  I have some questions and seek some advice. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

My friend and I are backpacking the PCT for the first time the first week of August, about 10 days.  We want to do a portion of the PCT from Seattle and are considering the Interstate 90/Snoqualmie Pass to Highway 2/Stevens Pass section.

1) I know this is subjective, but do you think that there are other "better/nicer" hikes then this one that we should consider doing instead?  We are looking for a hike that will take us into the mountains, to swimmable lakes, and provide some variety of landscape.

2) Some friends who are not able to do the whole hike with us are considering meeting up with us halfway.  It looks like they could take I-90 to the 903 North until it becomes an unpaved road and leads all the way up to a campground near the PCT.  Of course, this all seems a little dodgy and I'd like to do some research if this is even possible.  Are there resources on roads close to the PCT and current road conditions?

3) Do we need permits for this section of the hike?

4) Do we need to be concerned with bears?  Meaning, do we need to bring bear cannisters for our food?

5)  I was reading in my PCT guidebook that this time of year can be busy with hikers.  Is it overwhelmingly busy, or just a few more folks then normal?  In my mind I'm imagining swarms of people (like how it can get in Korea's national parks), but maybe I'm overreacting.

Thanks very much for any advice you can provide.
Rosy

This email is solely for the intended addressee, and may contain privileged or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not use or distribute this material. If you have received this communication in error, please notify me immediately, return this transmission, and delete or destroy any copies.