[pct-l] GPS

Brian Lewis brianle8 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 23:50:32 CST 2008

An alternative is a smartphone which includes a true GPS as part of its
overall suite of tools.  That's what I carried on my thru-hike this year,
and while I'm with the majority on the idea of not being absolutely reliant
on a GPS for navigation, I found it helpful in a few cases, plus a nice
"treat" in some other cases, i.e., a sort of psychological reward I could
give myself infrequently of "finding out exactly where I am" when that felt
appropriate.

And if you're at all inclined to, you can add road-type GPS software to a
smartphone as well as topographic software; I had both along.  The road-type
(Tom Tom in my case) software wasn't too useful in general, but in limited
situations it could turn out to be nice as well, and I use it at home now
occasionally in "normal life".

My expanded thoughts on this (smartphone in general, to include the GPS
functionality) are here:
http://postholer.com/smartPhone.html

Brian Lewis
http://postholer.com/brianle