[pct-l] Permits

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Fri Nov 28 10:29:49 CST 2008

According to the PCTA permit lady, the Whitney permit is ONLY needed if you intend to exit over Trail Crest and go down the east slope to Whitney Portal. Since only the truly insane would re-supply at the Portal and hump a full pack UP those switchbacks again, most PCT hikers will simply summit Whitney, then re-trace their steps along the JMT back to Crabtree Meadows to re-join the PCT and go north.

Here's the email response she sent me after I questioned this:

"Bob, As you did not put a date for entering the Whitney Zone due to our conversation, I did not put a date. This only applies if you pay the fee and cross the crest, if going up and coming down without crossing the crest a permit (15.00 fee) is not required."