[pct-l] SuperSecretes of Backpacking - Sanitation

Hiker97 hiker97 at aol.com
Wed Oct 1 23:37:19 CDT 2008

Patti wrote: You're actually correct on that statement...more people get sick from sanitation issues than contaminated water. For whatever reason, people seem to forget that they still need to wash their hands when in the wilderness....like all of a sudden our bowels are clean and fresh...rriiiigght. I guess it's another thing to think about as well when you are sharing a bite with your fellow hikers...do you know where their hands have been?
Switchback replies: I agree with you.  Say, I just thought of something cool.  I put some Bactine spray juice (www.bactine.com) in one of those .5 ounce spray bottles.  I then put it in my medical kit.  This is neat.  Now I have a good medical spray in my kit for little weight.  It comes in around 2 ounces all together --- you don't have to fill the bottle all the way.  A little heavy, but a nice addition to the kit.

I am getting excited about the upcoming Eastern Sierra trip next week.  Once again, Switchback will be braving the deep mountains and the PCT/JMT.  Mother Nature is probably planning an attack on me, but I will be ready.  Fort Switchback is all that will be between me and cruel slow death --- bones to picked over by bears, mountain lions, and marauding Indians.  No problem.