[pct-l] Hiking and the Modern World

Hiker97 hiker97 at aol.com
Sun Oct 19 21:00:44 CDT 2008

Well, I now know I am definitely out of step with the modern world being a hardcore backpacker.  And everyday I think I am getting farther away.

I am down at my local Walmart SuperStore minding my own business.  I decide to stop in the electronic department and see if they have some waterproof radios for when I am swimming laps down at the YMCA.  Backpackers carry simple radios on hikes too and it has always been a good place to get a cheap hiking radio.  No problem.

The clerk tells me they no longer carry small portable AM/FM radios.  What?  Oh, they have IPods, etc., all over the place.  What is the deal that now I cannot get a simple radio at Walmart for hiking?  This is ridiculous.  This is a Commie plot against backpackers.

The Switchback