[pct-l] Poodle-dog bush

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon Oct 20 15:38:58 CDT 2008

I just realized, after looking at some pictures online and comparing
them to a picture I took on the PCT that there was poodle-dog bush on
the PCT! I took the picture on the descent from the Liebre mountains
down toward the sag pond before doing the annoying walk around the
Tejon Ranch property line toward Hikertown. Thank goodness I never
touched it. I thought it was really pretty. If you don't know, poodle-
dog bush causes a rash like poison oak. It sounds like, from some
other articles I found, that the rash can be caused by the whole
plant and not just the flowers. It won't be in bloom anymore, but the
plant could still get you. Some friends of mine got the rash hiking
this weekend in a burn zone near where I live in Santa Barbara.

My picture:
http://picasaweb.google.com/dianesoini/
PCT20083PointsToHikertown#5215822566935104306
Pictures of poodle-dog bush:
http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/img_query?where-genre=Plant&where-
taxon=Turricula+parryi
Article with more pictures about poodle-dog bush:
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/oldar-flower-bush-2001799-people-fire