[pct-l] Last hurrah for this year's section hiking

David Hough on pct-l pcnst2001 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 22 01:48:47 CDT 2008

After an eight degree morning at Mammoth on 12 Oct, it looks like it will
be unseasonably warm two weeks later.

That gives me a chance to sew up the gap in my sectioning of the High Sierra
this weekend.     I bailed early on 10 Oct to avoid the storm, which was a
good decision for me.     I went over Glen Pass in another
October blizzard several years ago and
I don't need another experience like that.
It was cold enough at 10000' at South Fork Kings
River this year even before the storm.

So I am missing the ten miles from South Fork to Woods Creek.    Only trouble
is it's a 15 mile approach.     But it looks like it would yield to a fast
(for me) assault camping from Kings Canyon Roads End (no need to cross to
the east side or get a car shuttle) with
two nights at Woods Creek PCT junction (bear box
there, no need for a bear can) and a long day hike over Pinchot Pass twice
to connect up with the Taboose Pass trail junction where I bailed before.

The real mountaineers would make a loop out of this by thrashing through
the Muro Blanco  (google Muro Blanco Kings River to see what that's about)
but it doesn't look like a good idea for the elderly to do solo at the
end of October.     The consequences of accident or incident would start
at severe and get worse.     So I'll hike out the Woods Creek trail that
I hiked in on.

My previous efforts in section H are unorganizedly at
 http://pcnst.oakapple.net/photo/cc-pct/h/