[pct-l] base weights and ultralight packs

mark v allemande6 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 22 12:09:34 CDT 2008

There were plenty of unhappy people and ripped up packs this year from people carrying 35-45 lbs.  If your weight is going to be that high more than a few days, i wouldn't recommend ANY ultralight pack.  But naturally i'd most recommend never to carry that  much on a thru or long section hike anyway.  I'm no saint or gram weenie, and i have lots of cheapo stuff, but just as a point of comparison, my base weight varied from 12 lbs. much of the way to 22 lbs. in the Sierra (carrying 2 person tent since Emma joined me for that part).  So total weight was anywhere between ~13-37lbs. My ULA Catalyst worked well for carrying those weights.  Other people carrying the same pack with more weight had rips and tears.