[pct-l] base weights and ultralight packs

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Fri Oct 24 15:14:22 CDT 2008

Good afternoon, Wildheart,

Welcome to the gray area in the world of PCT hiking; where most of us share
the same opinion, i.e. that everybody else's methods are flawed.  There
really isn't a specific definition of "ultralite", but it is useful to know
how a person categorized his/her weight.  The gross number is a total
"skin-out" weight.  That includes literally everything that goes down the
trail except you, bare-assed naked.

Of that total some of the weight is worn on your person.  Included could be:
Clothes, hat, shoes/socks/gaiters, bandanna, eyeglasses, dog-tags,
wristwatch, etc, and I include my trekking poles in this category as well.
Likely this weight will be the same just after you resupplied as it was just
before.

The next category would be the "consumables", primary of which are food,
water, and fuel, but it could also include Chapstick, sunscreen, TP,
medications, DEET, etc.  This weight is highly variable, being greatest just
after a resupply stop, then ideally will dwindling to near-zero just before
the next stop.  The significant exception is water weight which is highly
situational depending upon the distance considered, the environment, and the
availability of in-route replenishment opportunities.

The sum of everything else is traditionally termed "base weight", and that's
the list that gets the most attention from the ultralites.  Use whatever
number you like, but I generally consider up to 10 pounds of base weight to
be in the ultralite category.  My empty pack can be as lite as 3.5 oz. but I
usually use a GoLite Breeze which weighs in at 13 oz.

Steel-Eye
http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

^^^^^^^^^^  Serious hikers gather at:  http://www.aldhawest.org/  ^^^^^^^^^^