[pct-l] How do you distinguish scuzzy "Hiker Trash" from a grubby "Homeless Bum"?

Scott Heeschen sheesh at alum.mit.edu
Thu Sep 11 12:18:53 CDT 2008

> Georgi Heitman wrote:
>
>> Can't remember the last time I approached a 'bum', but when I approach
>> 'hiker trash' , I ask if there's any 'hiker trash' around, and they always
>> laugh...would a real, honest-to-goodness bum do that?
>> FireFly

This thread reminds me of two incidents, right before and after finishing my
hike.  Standing at Stevens Pass, about to call the Dinsmore's, a woman
pulled her SUV over across the road and yelled "Are you hiker trash?"  The
three of us proudly yelled "Yes!" and then got a ride to the Dinsmore's from
Donna Saufley, of all people!  She was up in Seattle on a business trip, and
came out after work to meet the Dinsmore's and maybe meet with some hikers.

About 10 days later, on a Saturday morning, I was on a street corner
somewhere near the Seattle Amtrak station, wondering which way to go to find
some breakfast as I waited for the San Jose bound train to leave.  The
station seemed to be in the financial district, so all the normal
cafes/delis were closed on the weekend, and I was STARVING.  I was carrying
around my pack, but had cleaned up in Manning.  Still, some guy came along
and must have read my mind, in a way - he suggested I go down to the
Mission, because they had *real* breakfast food that morning, stuff like
bacon and eggs, not the normal oatmeal.  However, I better hurry up since
word like that travels quickly and the food would disappear fast.

I was amused, but wasn't exactly sure how to respond.  I think I eventually
said something along the lines of "That wouldn't be fair - I can afford to
pay for breakfast".  There was a very awkward pause.  "Oh, umm..."  I hadn't
minded implicitly being called a bum, but he felt bad about it.  I'm not
sure what he thought I was.

I would guess it's probably best to just use 'hiker trash' all the time.
You'll either be right, or confuse the heck out of the people :-)

    Buck Larceny '05