[pct-l] cool animal sightings on the trail

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Mon Apr 6 20:57:16 CDT 2009

Good evening, Fuzz,

Most of the critters along the PCT pretty much go about their business in a
straight-forward, predictable fashion:  Deer and elk browse, hawks soar, and
rattlesnakes curl up under a bush, etc.  Except for cubs that often do some
interesting things, even bears generally confine themselves to digging and
delving.

There’s one notable exception:  the river otter.  Along the PCT in the
Cascades they are more likely to be found in ponds than rivers, and they
love to play – even the adults.  They never seem to tire of playing tag,
wrestling, racing, sliding, or playing keep-away with some object.  Sometimes
there is just one playing alone, but often it will be several in a family
group.  The energy and imagination they demonstrate is amazing, and they
move so fast and constantly that watching them is enough to make a cup of
coffee nervous.

Steel-Eye

Hiking the Pct since before it was the PCT -- 1965

 http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

 http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09