[pct-l] Off the beaten path

Shutterbug steiner shutterbugg313 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 9 07:25:53 CDT 2009

Bag the highest peaks in the three ranges in SoCal- the three saints

Section B
San Jacinto 10486ft----- 6 or so miles off the PCT - easiest and most maintained from Saddle Junction ---- even hike over the the Palm Springs Tram
Section C
San Gorgonio 11585ft ----- dirt road walk to Fish Creek TH and then summit on maintained trail from there.  Highest in SoCal 8 miles from fish creek
Section D
San Antonio (Mt Baldy) 10064ft- before Acorn Trail to Wrightwood take the Devils Back Bone Trail - over Pine and Dawson Mountains and up Mt Baldy.   Some up and down saddles between peaks and very steep.  In some spots some severe drop offs of 1000 ft while walking on the spinte  Trail is not maintained anymore but is fairly well marked when not snow covered. About 6 miles and 5000 ft gain from PCT and by far my favorite way to the top.

All three of these