[pct-l] Weight

Stephen reddirt2 at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 20 19:30:04 CDT 2009

That's about my pack weight for an extended eight day photography packpack
including food, fuel, and an 8 lb medium format field camera rig.  Ouch!  A
couple things jump out at me imediately.  If you knock 3 lbs off your
shelter, 1-1/2 off that sleeping bag, 4 lbs off the clothing, ditch the
sandals, send the axe ahead, get a lighter pack, a lighter stove, a short
Pro 4 Sleep pad, you'll probably get down below 20 lbs in short order, more
like 15 would be awsome for you I think.  What really caught my attention is
you are at 35lbs before food and water, which will place you over 50lbs
perhaps on some sections...?  See my point?
You don't need 9 lbs of clothing.  You certainly don't need a 5 lb tent, or
a 4 lb sleeping bag.  I seriously doubt carrying that Dragonfly stove is
necesarry unless cooking for a group and someone else is carrying the fuel !
And you are starting with a 5 lb pack !
Try light tarp for rain, and a bug net for bugs.  2 lbs max.  get a 2 lb 20
degree sleeping bag.  and look for a 3 lb pack.  Lots of folks like a rain
poncho, but I prefer my light wt rain/wind shells.  I just got an 11 oz
Paclite shell for many dollars, but I also got a 9 oz shell for 17 bucks
last seaon.
I actually just use cheap green plastic tarps, and an over the bed green
travel net from REI for a few years now and am quite pleased to be out of
the bivy and tent, not to mention the combo is lighter.  I been using 2 lb
down sleeping bags from REI and Marmot for over ten years in the high
sierra, sweet.
Just my thoughts, the important thing is to go, but you might enjoy the
walking a little more if you can chop some weight off.  So far I really like
what folks are telling you.  Suggestions only.
Have a great time getting ready !!!
Stephen