[pct-l] Hopefully this is not a stupid question

t.n. turner barnumbaileypdx at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 28 11:56:51 CDT 2009

It isn't a stupid question, only unasked questions are stupid! Your pack is your life on trail, but that said, I can think of quite a few places where I took my wallet, phone, etc bag in with me and left my pack and poles just outside. No one there to watch them. Bridgeport comes to mind really quickly and now that I'm sitting in my living room watching it rain outside, I think, Wow! someone could have picked that up, put in their car and disappeared with it very easily. I was VERY lucky. I did that in lots of places, outside post offices, especially the tiny ones! Back to Bridgeport, I had a police officer come in and ask whose pack was in the lobby. When I spoke up, he said okay, he was just concerned about bags and packs being left behind - terrorism evidently!

I never thought to take it in with me and put it in the shopping cart. But then, I hate shopping<smile>! and don't like to push around a cart, so it's the last thing I want to be encumbered with. Also, I didn't resupply in grocery stores, my food was mailed to me and I only did the 'extras' in the stores - potato chips, orange juice, watermelon, more potato chips! that kind of food!!
So, I would say, take it with you or leave it in sight (P.O.s).
tammy t.