[pct-l] SPOT - 2nd generation model

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Fri Aug 14 11:34:58 CDT 2009

FYI...  Might be 'old news' to some, but I haven't seen any posts regarding this on pct-l...

SPOT will be releasing a 2nd generation model "this fall"...

The new unit differs from the original model in the following important ways:
smaller & lighter ( by "30%", now only 5.2 oz.);
enhanced antennae (should improve performance in tree cover);
better GPS chipset (faster acquisition);
separate "GPS Acquisition" and Message Sending" indicator lights;
a second "message" button (in addition to the "check-in/okay" button);
protective covers over the "Help" and "911/SOS" buttons;
illuminated buttons;
dedicated "Tracking" button (for the optional additional-fee 'tracking' service)...

See SPOT's website 'news' at  http://tinyurl.com/mtta5q...

BackpackingLight did a write-up on it during the Outdoor Retailer Summer Market 2009,
but one must be a member to read it (and why I didn't post earlier; waited for it to be on SPOT's website)...

I still consider it more a 'toy' to share my hike with family/friends, staying in 'contact', than as an emergency device...

Happy trails!!!
Jim (PITA)