[pct-l] 10 top winners

Will M jalan04 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 12:53:34 CDT 2009

I agree with Ned.  Definitely go on some shake down hikes.  If you can, do a
hike in the rain with your Bear can and a full load of food.

This will allow you to really get a handle on wether your equipment is
adequate, too heavy, etc..Setting up your shelter in the rain will also
allow you to test your seam seals or trap tenting skills.

A lot of hikers focus overly much on weight.  You may find the experience of
hiking in the cold rain may make you re-evaluate some of your gear choices.

I'm hoping to take Ned's course this year.  I may not need all of the skills
he teaches but having them will give me more confidence when I tackle the
Sierras.

Another big thing:  Find a good pair of shoes and really test them.  A lot
of people end up having feet problems on the trail.  A blister may not seem
like a big deal but having constantly sore feet will add to all of the other
things that may make you want to leave the trail.

This may seem obvious, but you may also want to look into health insurance,
setting up some online bill paying, and also look into cell phone service if
your planning on bringing a cell.