[pct-l] CA/OR

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sat Dec 5 19:48:04 CST 2009

On Dec 5, 2009, at 5:02 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:
>  I've
> traveled in many states and never had a bad experience from being from
> California with California plates on my car, etc.

When I graduated from High School, I drove with my two girl friends
across country in my orange VW bug from Santa Barbara to Minnesota. I
still have a picture somewhere of some Canadian guys taking pictures
of us out the sunroof of their Camero. The three of us were all
blonds, in our "fancy California car", as so many Minnesotans liked
to call it. (Nevermind the car came from Montana.) People treated us
like movie stars. When walking into a McDonald's in Le Mars Iowa you
would have thought we were the Martians the way we were stared at.

That was before the real estate boom. How things have changed. Now
the only ones to treat me like a movie star with the mosquitoes in
Oregon. The paparazzi I called them.