[pct-l] Oregon, tent cooking, and water

Gary Wright at2002 at mac.com
Sun Dec 6 13:23:16 CST 2009

> I was originally going to write to remind newbies that while many
> hikers might cook in their stoves, conventional wisdom says that it
> is NOT RECOMMENDED because of the danger of carbon monoxide
> poisoning. Then I started to do some research and learned that the
> newer butane stoves *may* let off lower levels of CO.

I think the bigger danger is that you'll light your tent on fire. Sil-
nylon is quite flamable.  I would only be concerned with carbon
monoxide if the tent was buttoned down as when winter camping
otherwise I think there would be plenty of air exchange.  This might
be a good topic for Mythbusters to explore.