[pct-l] Blisters and more.

jason moores jmmoores at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 11 04:16:47 CST 2009

Sean,

It's hard to analyze your problem without knowing more about what you wore or how you trained. It did seem quite common on the trail for people to be plagued with blisters until Big Bear and beyond. I spoke with an '08 hiker at Kick-off who had blisters from Campo to Manning. I was amazed that he made it all the way, dealing with the pain every day. My fiance dealt with bad blisters for over 200 miles. I fared better, with only a few small blisters when I switched shoes in Big Bear and a few the first week out.

Melissa and I wore similar footwear, washed feet/socks the same amount and so forth. The one main difference was in the amount of time that we spent training before the hike. Due to our schedules I spent about twice as much time with a pack on, snowshoeing or hiking. I feel that my feet were just better prepaired for the 13 hour days that we hiked those first weeks on the trail. But it's hard to say. Some people are just more prone than others.

Shoe size, type of socks, shoe breathability are all factors. Just as important is keeping your feet as clean as you can. Wash your feet and socks at every chance that you get. Change your socks twice a day. Take care of hot spots before they become blisters. You've heard all of this stuff before. If you were already doing these things last summer then I would suggest that you increase your training. The only way that I know of to get your feet ready for walking 20-25 miles a day is to do as much walking as your schedule allows. Get the most out of your training time as you can. Take your loaded pack with you on all of your hikes.

Outside of that, just stick with it. Your feet will toughen given the chance. You were probably already through the worst of it when your knee took you out.

Jackass